Sweet potatoes, also commonly labeled as yams, are an excellent and inexpensive staple to have on hand. These deep orange-fleshed nutritional powerhouses add several important components to the diet. Their health and weight management benefits far exceed the nutritional value found in ordinary white and yellow fleshed potatoes.
- Sweet potatoes contain almost twice as much fiber as other types of potatoes.
- They contain a large amount of vitamin B6. This vitamin is crucial in breaking down a substance called homocysteine, which contributes to hardening of the arteries and blood vessels.
- Rich in Beta-carotene or vitamin A is an important antioxidant.
All you’ll need for this sandwich is:
2. Half a cup of thinly sliced raw or cooked sweet potato
3. Pesto recipe of choice
4. Toppings: greens, tomato, sliced cucumber, roasted bell pepper, kale, etc.
Dollop the pesto onto the sweet potato slices (or use rounds as I did), assemble the sandwich, slice, and enjoy.